Tuesday, August 25, 2009

CRASH!!!!!


Tear and sweat streaked with red dirt

I HAD to show how dirty he was

Yes, the eye IS black!
Conked out after lots of codeine

Wow! What a week! Jayden has made a friend from school that lives only 5 houses up on our street. They asked if they could play at his house, and we moms agreed to the plan. Well, I guess the boys decided to take their bikes riding down the red dirt hills. Jayden ended up somersaulting down the hill with the bike that he was riding (not his bike, NO HELMET!!) The other little boy came running for his mom and myself. I was greeted in our driveway by ONE DIRTY, SCREAMING Jayden. I felt bad for him, but he was so covered in red dirt that I couldn't even begin to see where he was injured. I took him inside, had him shower, then had him chill on the sofa watching VeggieTales. He kept crying and crying and complaining about his arm. I called Justin (who is in California) and he said, "Oh, its just Jayden's drama. Let him calm down before you take him to the doctor." Well, as luck would have it, it was Back to School night at school and there was NO WAY I was missing that. Urgent care would just have to wait until after I talked to his teacher. After being so upside down all summer, then finally moving and getting settled, I need to hear all about his teacher and what the expectations are for 2nd grade. So, I made my sore, sad little guy go to Back to School night. You should have seen the parents there looking at me like I was crazy. Here is my boy, sobbing (2 hours after the incident), barely walking into his classroom. He's got road rash all up one side of his face and a nice black eye. I'm such a great mom!
Well, we made our way to urgent care after I talked to his teacher. We waited an hour before we finally saw the doc. Then we waited another half hour before we got x-rays. FINALLY, some news! Jayden has broken his humerus JUST UNDER the growth plate. What a lucky guy! If an adult had broken their arm this way, they would need surgery and a rod in the arm to reset it. Kids however, are different and Jayden should mend nicely after wearing a sling for the next 6 weeks. We have to follow up with the orthopedic specialist in a few days and I'll post more updates as we learn more.

7 comments:

:) said...

Those pictures are CRAZY!!! I had to keep going back to look at them, just to make sure it was Jayden! Get better soon!

Elise and Dan said...

Wow! Poor Guy!! I hope he heals fast!

andreamatrix said...

Holy cow! That is quite the picture. I didn't recognize him.

Jay and Rochelle said...

Ok the red dirt almost looks like dry blood. Hope he starts feeling better and that the bike didn't get too damaged.

Me :) said...

Poor little guy. The dirt on that boy was CRAZY!!

Benjamin Hunsaker said...

that first pic is horrible, poor guy! I hope he feels better and you can get the help he needs.

I love that you got them all enrolled. Alyssa looks so cute in her dance outfit!

Brenton and Andrea said...

Get better soon little Jay-dog! I hope it heals fast and he feels better!