Monday, September 20, 2010

"Batty"




A few weeks ago, Jayden found this little guy on the track at the school. I know I'm an animal lover and I've raised my kids to be as well, but I was a little irritated when he came bringing this thing home in the handkerchief that is usually tied around our dog's neck. Our conversation went a little like this:

Jayden: MOM, I found a BAT!!! You gotta help him, he's hurt!
Me: What? A Bat? How the crap did you get a bat?
Jayden: He's hurt, he was on the track and I picked him up and put him in Mack's handkerchief.
Me: Jayden, that's dangerous, he could have rabies! If you were to get bitten, you'd have to go to the hospital!
Jayden: I KNOW! But, I do feel good for helping the litle guy out! Can I keep him? He's sooo cute! I think he needs to go to the vet! Can we take him?
Me: NO!!! Bat's are dangerous! Touching them, picking them up....NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!! (obviously, I wasn't really getting through)

Anyway, after my long lecture, the bat came to our house, where I put him on the stucco of the back patio and gave the kids STRICT instructions NOT to "pet it". They obeyed pretty well and luckily, the next day the bat had flown away. I don't think I've ever had so much relief from an animal disappearing!

4 comments:

Brenton and Andrea said...

You are such a good mom! I would have freaked out...maybe disowned my kid....j/k! I hate bats though! Blah!

Jay and Rochelle said...

That is a really big ugly bat! I would have killed the ugly thing. Way to go for being a top number one mom on bats :)

Kendra said...

Ha ha Ha! YUCK!

Benjamin Hunsaker said...

hahaha, that is hilarious! reminds me of when Kris found an injured bird and took care of it and then wanted Roy to give it a blessing.