
I shouldn't use my blog to vent, but I just HAVE to, ya know? A little while ago Justin and I read Dave Ramsey's book "The Total Money Makeover". We LOVED it and really got on the same page with our financial goals and steps to do them in. Well, Dave says in his book as a warning that not only will Murphy's Law apply, but Murphy will stinkin' move in with you. So, Babystep #1 is to put aside $1,000 for emergency cash. Babystep #2 is to snowball debt with the SMALLEST amount first. Anyway, Justin and I were well into babystep #2 when it finally decided to get hot in St. G. (which I was excited about, cuz we know I like to be poolside). I went to turn my A/C on in my sexy minivan and it DIDN't work at ALL. Like, literally, blowing out HOT HOT HOT, burning HOT air. Nice! So, I had a guy look at it and quote me $300 for it. Then as he was fixing it, he ran into problems. Long story short, I took my van to 3 different people (losing wheels for a total of 5 days) before it finally got fixed for $500. But, I found out that I will soon be needing at least $1,000 in other repairs done to it. Tires, brakes, alignment, bushings, sway bar stuff...blah blah blah blah blah. I would totally just go car shopping, except for the fact that the van is ALMOST paid off. Keeping my eye on the prize with Gazelle like speed (as Dave would say).
Anyway, next, Murphy decided that that wasn't enough bad news for me. I went to start my laptop this morning and it wouldn't even turn on. (yes, the battery was charged...I quadrouple checked). So, I called around to computer guys and found out that its probably the motherboard. UGH!!! I just had the blasted hard drive replaced! Seriously, Hewlitt Packard! I LOVE my lappy, and I'll pay to fix it, but that's just awful that a computer not even 2 1/2 years old has had so many BIG problems. We'll just blame it on Vista and move on, right?
Well, back to Murphy. I'm boot kicking him out of this house! I've got goals, dang it!
Our Favorite Solar Outdoor Lighting {Both Fun and Functional!}
-
My favorite outdoor solar lights for a beautiful (and safe) backyard!
These solar lights work just as well as our wired landscape lighting, and
come in som...
2 days ago
3 comments:
yuck, being an adult stinks. But I do have to say I love Dave Ramsey! We listen to his radio show all the time, it's hilarious! the people on there asking for advice are silly sometimes but then other times it's great to hear the advice. I went totally backwards on his steps and finally got with it last year. I felt $1k was too scary for an emergency fund but he's so smart, why keep saving your $$ when you have all this interest in student loans? Just pay off your debt, sheesh! Don't pay for it twice Annalee
what a bummer! Sounds like our life and trying to get on top. Something is always creeping up that is unexpected. Good luck on getting Murphy out.
I TOTALLY understand!! But I just have to remind myself that is what the EMERGENCY fund is for. And that it is ok to use in an emergency. Aren't you glad you don't have to put it on a credit card?!?! We had had two things happen since we saved the $1000, but it is amazing how fast we built it back up!
Post a Comment